IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Rambutan

KatoeyLover69 is on a distinguished road
Default Cow urine makes for juicy lemons

Report from The New Straits Times dated Friday 11 August 2007:-

Cow urine makes for juicy lemons

T. Kaniappan with the plump lemons, which are cultivated with cow urine. (Inset) The earthworm casts that are used as fertilisers

KULAI : Earthworms and cow urine have helped a farmer here grow juicier and bigger lemons.

T. Kaniappan, 57, who used to harvest ping-pong ballsized lemons on his one-acre orchard, is now reaping fruits that are bigger than hockey b a l l s.

It happened after he replaced chemical fertilisers and pesticides at his farm in an oil palm plantation about 10km from here with organic fer tilisers.

He also uses bitter leaves and a mixture of yoghurt and coconut milk for the improved crop which has been giving him bumper yields since then.

Today, Kaniappan’s orchard produces three times as many lemons as before.

His success has also spurred him to set up a vermiculture (earthworm breeding) facility on a two-hectare plot at the plantation where he produces 80kg of earthworm casts per month that he uses as fertiliser.

The orchard nets him RM500 a month while the earthworm fertiliser brings him RM250.

The former Sime Darby plantation technician started his orchard in 2004 with yields of about 35kg of fruit.

“In 2005, I was introduced by the Consumer Association of Penang (CAP) to this organic farming technique developed in India. My lemon plants took on a new life with yields of about 200kg of fruit.” Kaniappan said he started his vermiculture with 20 earthworms received from CAP.

He placed them in open concrete compartments filled with soil and compost made of sugarcane waste.

The worms multiplied to 1,800 in three months.

To keep pests away, he uses a spray of a mixture of cow urine and five types of bitter leaves which leaves him pestfree for two weeks.

“I also spray a mixture of fermented yoghurt and coconut milk that has been kept over 15 days on the plant as it enhances flowering, fruiting and overall growth.

“Another good growth enhancer is fish waste and brown sugar that I spray on my plants to promote new shoots. It also keeps pests away.”

Kaniappan said another wonder potion was Pancakavya, a mixture of cow dung, cow urine, ghee, milk, yoghurt, sugarcane juice, coconut water, bananas and toddy.

“Pouring this mixture at the roots or spraying on the plants will enhance the growth, taste and glossiness of the produce while keeping pests away.

“The potion when fed to livestock and fish can also enhance their growth,” said Kaniappan, who is helping CAP in its nationwide campaign to promote organic farming.
--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Link :- http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html

Last edited by KatoeyLover69 : 11-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Rambutan

Default Tambun : Seafood and satay to savour

Report from The STAR dated Sunday 5 August 2007:-

Tambun : Seafood and satay to savour

Tambun not only offers fresh seafood but also specially prepared satay that is simply out of this world, says blogger Loctor Mayat.

IF you’re in Penang, the moment you mention the word “seafood”, the locals will recommend to you several places but one place that will never be forgotten is Tambun.

Tambun is located on the southern tip of Butterworth. The place is full of seafood restaurants, each claiming to serve the freshest and cheapest seafood.

To me, I like a place that has a nice atmosphere, easy to locate and has ample parking. Hence, one place that I will always go when having Tambun seafood is the Fish Village Seafood Restaurant. The satay sticks are dipped into the peanut sauce before being barbequed.

If you’re driving from the South, go along the North-South Highway until you reach the Bukit Tambun exit. After the toll, you’ll reach a T-junction.

Turn right and go straight till you come to a cross junction. Keep going straight and you will see the restaurant on your left.

Make sure you go early (around 6pm) to get tables or you’ll have to wait. The choices of seafood are aplenty. You can go to the aquariums and select whatever you want to eat.

I had the Sweet-and-Sour Sauce Crab and also the Mango Strips with Deep-fried Cuttlefish. Both were very nice and absolutely delicious!

As side orders, we tried the special satay. The satay sticks are dipped into the peanut sauce first before being BBQ-ed. Very nice and special indeed. So what’s the cost of the meal?

For the hearty meal of two crabs, cuttlefish, 10 sticks of satay and Chinese tea, the bill came up to slightly over RM40. It was well worth it.
http://msianfoodies.blogspot.com

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Link :- http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...ec=SundayMetro
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Rambutan

Default Market Place Restaurant & Lounge : Delectable western food

Market Place Restaurant & Lounge : Delectable western food

BLOGGER Mycoffee recommends the Market Place Restaurant at Lorong Yap Kwan Seng in Kuala Lumpur for its ambience and great tasting western dishes ranging from soups to heavenly desserts.

She says:

The restaurant is housed in an old converted bungalow. Looking rather chic, it seems to be a good place to chill out for drinks even if you don’t have the food. But let’s talk about the food.

This has got to be my favourite type of the meal. For starters, thick, rich, hearty mushroom soup. Simple comfort food but yet truly delectable.
Chocolate Mousse

For my main, I had the Cod Fish with some leafy greens. The cod fish was fresh and cooked to perfection and I happen to love this fish a lot!

All of us chose the Cod Fish as our main course except one. This particular friend of mine broke the mould and had the Fresh Salmon instead.

Next, the dessert – Martini-glassed Chocolate Mousse. Appearance-wise, it was not that impressive but it tasted divine although I found the texture to be a bit strange, almost like semi-melted rich chocolate ice-cream that was served slightly warm, not very mousse-like.

Market Place Restaurant & Lounge, 4A Lorong Yap Kwan Seng, Off Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, Kuala Lumpur. http://sweetsformysweet.blogspot.com

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Rambutan

Default Quick and delicious

Quick and delicious

MAKAN MAKAN
By FARIDAH BEGUM

Starting this week, Sunday Metro introduces Makan Makan with Faridah Begum, a new fortnightly column on home-cooked food and recipes. This first instalment sees our columnist whipping up a nutritious meal in a jiffy for the children.

YOU have just a little over an hour to fetch a couple of children from school, feed them lunch and then get them to their tuition classes through the afternoon traffic jams.

As a mother, the greatest challenge these days, most of my friends and I agree, is getting a warm and nutritious meal ready in a jiffy within the hour between after school and tuition class.

Alas, the hour leaves many wringing their hands and getting a headache as most quick meals may end up being just cereals and cold milk or, worse, something I truly frown upon, a packet of instant noodles.

The common conversation most mothers have while waiting to fetch their children is, “What do I feed them today?” Just yummy: Tuck into a complete and easy lunch of salad, rice and fish fingers.

For me, it is an everyday duty to have a complete meal on the table for my family. I cook the time-consuming dishes early in the morning as my 11-year-old son gets ready for school and I nip back home half an hour before lunch to quickly rustle up a fresh vegetable dish to complete the meal.

And when the other half does not come home for lunch, then it is a headache to get something nutritious and appealing on the table as the children would be groaning about not wanting an elaborate meal.

Children are by nature, finicky eaters and the discipline of having to eat at a dining table defeats them.

Given my job discipline of observing people, I often make a mental note of the looks on the children’s faces whenever any dish is put on the table. I have learned that quickie meals can be an adventure, putting together the easy favourites with new foods on the table for the children.

Just a couple of weeks ago, such a lunch hour occurred and I decided just as I woke up that morning that I would not ask the children what they wanted but I would make lunch and learn their responses to my quick-fix meal.

I cooked extra rice the night before and stored it in the refrigerator and made use of the favourite ingredients that are must-haves in my home.

Nipping to the nearby supermarket, I headed for the freezers and spent some five minutes deciding on what should be an accompaniment for my children’s lunch.

A package that looked like fish fingers but not in the usual slabs caught my eye. (Yes, I am still a true-blue Malaysian who is attracted to the free gift that was obviously displayed in the packet through a clear wrapper!)

However, what truly struck me was the coating of the fish finger, oatmeal in one packet and cornflakes in another. I grabbed both and headed for the cash register.

At home, I quickly unloaded my recyclable shopping bag (the joy of not bringing home plastic bags is very satisfying, really, try it) and proceeded to make my son’s favourite egg and rice with a side dish of fish fingers and a fruit salad.

Suffice to say it was a hit as it was polished off in a jiffy with nary a complaint and we got to his religious class with 10 minutes to spare.

Well, mothers, it looks like the canteen operator may no longer have to cook the oily and flat tasting dishes that most of us often make a beeline for, for the sake of saving time!
Egg and Rice

Ingredients:
1 cup of rice
50g butter
1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of Marmite or Bovril
1 packet of frozen cereal breaded fish fingers
8-10 leaves of a variety of salad leaves
1 small carrot, grated roughly
1 apple (preferably green)
Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of sugar
Tartare sauce

Method:
First, deep-fry the fish fingers until golden brown and drain.

Place them on a plate with a bowl of tartare sauce in the centre.

Tear the salad leaves to bite pieces and chop up the apples to similar-sized pieces.

Toss the salad leaves, carrot and apples together in a bowl with some mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice to taste. Refrigerate the salad.

Heat a wok. Pour the cooking oil in before adding the butter.

Break the eggs into the wok, let the sides of the egg to whiten before scrambling the eggs.

Add the rice in quickly with the Marmite or Bovril. Fry the rice and egg quickly until all are well mixed.

Serve the egg and rice, with the salad and the fish fingers on the side. Enjoy! Faridah Begum is passionate about cooking and stuffing family and friends with food, whether tasty or not.
--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Rambutan

Default Assam laksa anytime

Assam laksa anytime

By FARIDAH BEGUM

The aroma of this noodle dish never fails to draw its connoisseurs to it.

SLIVERS of fish in a hot and tangy soup base, coupled with white rice noodles, it is heaven on earth!

That’s the assam laksa, a favourite that never fades from your memory, even when you are far away from the shores of home.

It is hard to explain how a simple fare of fish soup can set your five senses afire and tuned in to its huge pot, simmering in a corner of a shop or a stall in the markets.

Unlike at home or in an upmarket local cuisine establishment, the artless dispensation of this dish never turns anyone off, but instead, it is a highly anticipated experience to have the bowl in front of you and you start to tuck into the noodles that can be called a complete meal on its own. Slurp it up: The assam laksa is a hot favourite with many food lovers.

However, if one is a lover of the art of presentation, then the nyonyas, who are the creators of this beautiful noodle meal, are best in bringing out not only the flavour of the assam laksa, but also the beauty of this simple but satisfying dish.

Throughout my childhood, although not of nyonya descent but having roots in Malacca, the assam laksa has never failed to make it the top of my priorities when it comes to meals or just a bowl of indulgence.

Two decades or so ago, the preparation of assam laksa was still a labour of love as its preparation would also include the grating or slicing of juliennes of fresh herbs and vegetables to accompany the noodles.

However, today, the dish has become somewhat plain and also lacking in taste and having to find a good one can be daunting, especially if one is a lover of good food and know of its original taste and composition.

In my quest to find a good assam laksa, I scoured many night markets, even had my brother who, incidentally, was in Penang for a weekend to buy me several packets from different shops there to taste but none met the gourmet standards that I had pre-programmed in me. I was, therefore, satisfied to some 85% of the standards, when I tried the assam laksa at Penang Village at the Hartamas Shopping Centre in Kuala Lumpur, recently.

At RM8.90 a bowl, the assam laksa was filled with lots of fish, flavourful, as the Penangites and the Malays would agree, cukup semua, masam, manis, cukup bahan (it is complete, sour, sweet, enough ingredients).

The art of the nyonyas was observed, with the aroma wafting, filling all corners of the outlet. And once the bowl was placed before me, it was first and foremost, a feast for the eyes, with its colourful array of freshly sliced julienne strips of cucumber, tiny triangles of pineapples, thinly sliced ginger bud (bunga kantan) and red chillies and the ever-important sprigs of mint leaves.

Of course, the one very important and not to be left out ingredient is the prawn paste, which adds the zing and packs the wow in this noodle fare.

There are, of course, as in our SMS box, many recommendations of the best assam laksa outlets in the country and perhaps, those are the tried and tested ones that meet the high standards of Malaysians when it comes to real local fare.

On the other hand, The Star also offers several notably good assam laksa outlets nationwide.

One of the most popular outlets in the country must be the Balik Pulau Asam Laksa, which The Star Street Food Guide recommends as one of the best.

The stall in a corner coffee shop, Lam Kong Kedai Kopi next to the market in Main Road Balik Pulau, sees an endless stream of regulars stopping for their dose of the addictive assam laksa.

The assam laksa is tangy, not fishy and slightly sweet from the addition of pineapples. The stall-owner uses ikan curut for his soup, like all other assam laksa sellers in the area.

Penang, which is thoroughly famous for assam laksa, also has several stalls in Gurney Drive selling this fare that can be considered fairly authentic.

In Nibong Tebal, the stall Wan Li, next to the Tua Pek Kong temple in Jawi town, the assam laksa is served with a difference – prawn fritters. It is a cross between the Penang and Kedah versions and it has been around for more than 80 years.

In Kedah, one of the popular assam laksa stopovers is in Gurun, opposite the Gurun Magistrate’s Court at the Kedai Kopi New Light where the fare is served with a generous helping of prawn paste and is consistently good.
Back in the Klang Valley, the stall at the entrance of Jalan Petaling needs no introduction. The rice noodle is served in a stock that is thick, spicy and sour, and topped with mackerel chunks.
--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Rambutan

Default Assam laksa : The best has got to be in Penang

Assam laksa : The best has got to be in Penang

By HELEN ONG
Popular haunt: Kim at her assam laksa stall in Balik Pulau.

PENANG has many famous dishes to offer, but assam laksa (otherwise known as Penang laksa) is arguably the best known of all.

In Penang, this dish, because of its acidity, tends to make its first appearance after breakfast, and stays around for the lunch crowd, generally peaking at around tea-time when it is at its most popular. Here, everyone loves this pork-free dish, so you can find it at practically every corner.

Slurp it down standing up in the most basic surroundings, tuck into it in a kopi tiam, or order it in the most luxurious, air-conditioned hotel coffeehouse or upmarket restaurant where a helping can set you back anything from RM20 to RM40.

Balik Pulau and Air Itam are famous for the laksa, in a region already full of good laksa stalls, and Kim, who took over the stall on Main Road from the elderly couple who retired after running it for over three decades, is one where many people head for all the time.

The market next door also has a stall equally famous.

The other well-known places are in Lorong Selamat, Swatow Lane and Penang Road, next to the famous Chendol stall, which also has a branch in Anson Road, and Ah Sean’s at the corner of Jalan Krian and Macalister Road.

Mak Cik Putih, 60, for example, has been running her stall selling homemade “Tanjung Bungah Laksa” in Shamrock Bay, on the coast road to Batu Ferringhi, every weekend for the past 20 years.

People from all over Malaysia have pulled up to eat at her little makeshift stall, sometimes taking 10 or 20 packs home with them. She charges just RM1.70 for a bowl.

Burmese Maung Gyi’s hearty version of this local favourite is available from the Swee Kong corner coffeeshop, Jalan Moulmein, opposite the Pulau Tikus Police Station in the afternoons, with its discernible pieces of fish.

He also has a regular spot at the Tanjung Bungah Market Pasar Malam, which is held every Tuesday evening, where he dispenses mainly takeaway laksa with speed and a cheerful smile.
In recent years, many of these stalls have added a “lemak” version to their menu, but to many, Penang laksa is first and foremost the original assam laksa.
--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Link : http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...ec=SundayMetro
Old 13-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Rambutan

Default Come here for the best coffee in Teluk Intan

Report from The New Straits Times dated Monday 13 August 2007:-

Come here for the best coffee in Teluk Intan

Among the specialities at Kedai Kopi Keng Heng in Jalan Raja, Teluk Intan, is its brewed coffee.

When in Teluk Intan, forget about cappuccino, mocha, espresso or any other type of coffee. As far as most coffee drinkers here are concerned, there is only one type worth drinking, writes P. CHANDRA SAGARAN.
KEDAI Kopi Keng Heng’s speciality, as its name suggests, is its strongly brewed homemade coffee.

Its reputation for the best coffee around has kept the shop going since it opened its doors in Jalan Raja, Teluk Intan, in 1929.

Owner Tham Shean Ming, 56, has been running the coffee shop located in the heart of the town with his wife for 22 years. It was passed down to him when his uncle died.

"My family’s coffee has been around for years. Ask anyone here and they will tell you ‘Kopi Keng Heng bagus’ (Keng Heng coffee is great)," he said.
And looking at the crowd of patrons sipping their hot coffee while reading the papers, it is obvious that business has not slowed down.

Tastefully decorated with a few pictures of the old and new Teluk Intan town on the walls, the Keng Heng coffee shop is the place to come for a cuppa. It can accommodate close to 60 people.

The coffee shop is open daily from 6am to 11pm.

Tham, who manages the till, also waits on customers with his wife and four workers.

The aroma of ground coffee is so strong that it hits you when a cup is placed in front of you.

The secret? "A family recipe. We all have been sworn to secrecy," he said, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Try a cup and you will want to come back for more. Sometimes my customers would order more than two cups while having their morning drink.

"When I ask them why they like my coffee, they say it is different and tastes better than the coffee sold in other shops."

Tham and his 50-year-old wife, Oo Yew Ah Nooi, have four girls and a boy aged between 16 and 19, three of whom are schooling.

The eldest helps out in the shop. The family lives in the back portion of the two-storey shophouse.

"Our family has been staying here for many years. Years ago, there were many of us — my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins.

"This business was started by our great-great grandfather. Today, there are only seven of us as the others have moved out, but they come here often to help out."

Besides selling ready-made coffee, Tham also sells the finely grounded coffee beans in packets of one kilogramme for RM12.70 each with the Keng Heng brand.

There are six food stall operators at the coffee shop selling nasi lemak, nasi campur, noodles, cakes and sweetmeats.

A place to catch up with friends

CUSTOMERS who walk into Kedai Kopi Keng Heng always leave the shop with a satisfied look on their faces.

Many regulars drop in for a cup of coffee or two before they start work. They swear by it, saying the coffee gives them a lift.

Philip Han Yeong Wom, 59, is one of them. Han, the managing director of an outlet selling cars, said Keng Heng’s coffee was the best in Teluk Intan.

"It has a special taste and the aroma just wakes you up."

A normal cup of coffee costs RM1.10 but if served in a large mug, it is priced at RM1.80.

Another regular, Lau Yat Fah, 71, said he had been coming to Keng Heng for many years.

Lau, a pensioner, said the shop was the right place to meet up with old mates every evening and catch up on the latest gossip.

"The good old Keng Heng coffee is about the only brand that is known here, especially among us old people," he said while having coffee with some of his friends.

Lau said Kedai Kopi Keng Heng was one place where a discerning coffee drinker could taste real coffee.

"They have so many attractive sounding names for coffee today, but for my friends and I, there is nothing like Keng Heng coffee."

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Old 15-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Rambutan

Default Merdeka Special: From turf club to Twin Towers

Report from The New Straits Times dated Wednesday 15 August 2007:-

Merdeka Special: From turf club to Twin Towers

NST picture by Mohd Yusni Ariffin

THE Petronas Twin Towers has become so much a part of the Kuala Lumpur landscape that we forget that it used to be the home of the Selangor Turf Club.

The club had its beginnings in the 1800s when it was called the Selangor Gymkhana Club.

In 1896, it became the Selangor Turf Club under the patronage of Sir Frank Swettenham. The first race meeting took place in March that year.

The Selangor Turf Club was where the cream of society met up to enjoy a day at the races.

During World War One, races were often run to raise funds, but no races were held during World War Two.

By 1956, the old attap shed which was the original clubhouse was replaced by a modern grandstand. Three years later, races were moved to Sundays.

The last race at the Jalan Ampang location was run in 1992. Two years later, the new Selangor Turf Club opened in Sungai Besi.

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Old 18-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Rambutan

Default Wholesome breakfast for everyone

Report from The STAR dated Saturday 18 August 2007:-

Wholesome breakfast for everyone

WE may recognise the importance of a hearty breakfast but not many of us pay heed to feeding ourselves at the start of the day. But it’s a known fact that a good breakfast provides the right nutrients to get us going throughout the day. For a wholesome breakfast to be had at a leisurely pace, one can amble to La Bodega Deli in Bangsar Baru.

Knowing the importance of breakfast, the folks at La Bodega open their doors as early as 8am since opening for business in late 1999. Don’t bother with clockwatching as theirs is an All Day Breakfast menu that is available from 8am to 9.45pm.

Gastrodome public relations and marketing manager Mel Anselm said the all-day breakfast concept allowed diners to have their favou-rite breakfast choices way past noon. The mother of all breakfast: The Big Breakfast has Two Farm Fresh Eggs – cooked to order; grilled chicken sausages, crisp beef bacon, grilled tomato, baked beans and sauteed mushrooms with a slice of homemade toast.

“Not everyone makes it on time for breakfast. Some, opt to have a breakfast meal instead of picking a dish off the ala carte menu because it is wholesome and nutritious,” she said while sitting down to a late breakfast at the outlet recently.

Although breakfast at La Bodega starts at the deli, it is also available at the La Bodega Lounge and La Bodega (Tapas & Vino).

The menu is pretty straightforward, laying out a Western selection with the whole works thrown in.

The Big Breakfast comes with two farm fresh eggs – cooked to order; grilled chicken sausages, crisp beef bacon, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, sautéed mushrooms and a slice of home-made toast prettily placed on an oval serving plate. If you are watching the weight: The Fresh Fruit Salad served with Plain Yoghurt.

Priced at RM20, this breakfast option does not include coffee or tea or even juice as it allows the customer to decide on their preferred drink.

The English Breakfast (RM25), on the other hand offers two farm fresh eggs – cooked to order with a choice of beef bacon, smoked chicken ham or chicken sausages followed by a choice of sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, baked beans or hash browns.

This meal is complete with a slice of toast and there’s fresh juice and coffee as well.

Anselm said small eaters had the option of picking their breakfast favourites from the side order list.

The side orders are priced individually so diners can have just what they fancy on a plate like perhaps, egg and sausages or baked beans and smoked chicken ham.

Omelettes, she said could be prepared with a choice of tomatoes, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, beef bacon, smoked chicken ham or cheese (cheedar, feta or brie). Scrambled eggs are also given prominence here as they are served with Smoked Salmon On Toast.

According to Anselm, the outlet’s Eggs Benedict is popular with the crowd. Popular choice: The scrumptious Eggs Benedict, two poached eggs on toast with Smoked Salmon and topped with Hollandaise Sauce.

This dish is a serving of two poached eggs on toast with Hollandaise Sauce with a choice of smoked chicken ham or smoked salmon.

Pastries, waffles, pancakes, French toast, Churros, Strawberry Banana Crepe, Fresh Fruit Salad and muesli are other breakfast favourites offered here.

Part of the breakfast appeal is in the Power Juice and Smoothies section, catering to the health conscious.

Specialties include Banana and Fig Smoothie, Apricot and Brazilian Blend, Melon Berry Crush, Mocha Smoothie, Chocolate Banana Smoot-hie and any one of the milk shakes.

Now that’s a great choice for breakfast! --- KatoeyNewsNetwork

LA BODEGA DELI/LA BODEGA/LA BODEGA LOUNGE, 16 and 18, Jalan Telawi Dua, Bangsar Baru, Kuala Lumpur. (Tel: 03-2287 8318, 2287 9468 (Deli)). Business hours: 8am to 11pm (La Bodega Deli), noon to 2am (La Bodega/La Bodega Lounge).

Link :- http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...92&sec=central
Old 18-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Rambutan

Default ALIYAA Restaurant and Bar : Authentic flavours of Sri Lanka

Report from The STAR dated Saturday 18 August 2007:-

ALIYAA Restaurant and Bar : Authentic flavours of Sri Lanka

ALIYAA Restaurant and Bar in Bukit Damansara is not just another food outlet that has sprung up in Kuala Lumpur in recent months.

According to its director, Abethan Kanthasamy, it is the first authentic Sri Lankan food outlet in Malaysia.
Not to be missed: Sri Lankan Crabs.

It all started when he invited friends home for dinner and they liked the food.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Those who are not familiar with Sri Lankan fare and are not too adventurous with food can perhaps take time to read the menu as it gives a short description of the various dishes.
Simple yet attractive: The interior of the outlet. The photos on the wall are also for sale.

For instance, Kiri Bath – an all-time favourite Sri Lankan dish – is described as being very similar to nasi lemak.

It comprises coconut milk rice with katta sambal and spicy chicken, as well as an egg.

Meanwhile, those who love Briyani – especially if they are vegetarians – can try The Green, But Happy Elephant – a colourful vegetable Briyani.

Perhaps one dish not to be missed when you visit Aliyaa is the Sri Lankan Crabs because, it is learnt, the best quality Sri Lankan crabs are exported.

This authentic dish is cooked with traditional Sri Lankan spices and served with aromatic rice.

Food aside, a visit to Aliyaa will also give one a glimpse of Sri Lanka via the many pictures on the wall.

Tastefully decorated in a modern theme with black and white as core colours, the outlet which has a seating capacity of 177.

The pictures on the walls catch one’s attention the moment one enters the outlet. It is like stepping into an art gallery.

Aliyaa means ‘elephant’ in Singhalese,” explained Abethan (who introduced himself as Abbi) when asked about the outlet's name and why the pachyderm was the theme for many of the décor items and pictures on display.
Signature: Even the plates have designs of elephants.

All the framed photos on the walls were for sale and the proceeds would be channelled to the Yala Elephant Reserve, added Abbi, an engineer by training, who loves photography and elephants.

The fact that his position in Aliyaa is listed as “elephant in chief” is indicative of his passion for the animal.

For Abbi, the restaurant is a reflection of himself in more ways than one.

Some of the framed photos on sale are his favourites collected over the years.

He also joked that the photos were “limited edition” items as only 10 pieces of each would be put up for sale.

And, the fact that he has put up one of his favourite antique pieces – a 200-yeat-old painting – at the entrance to Aliyaa speaks volumes of his passion for the outlet.

Abbi, who also owns a furniture factory in Johor, said many of the furniture pieces in Aliyaa were from his factory which focused on the export market.

Buoyed by the good economy and promising times ahead perhaps, Abbi revealed, plans were afoot to open another outlet in Malaysia and one each in Singapore and Hong Kong in the near future.
--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

ALIYAA RESTAURANT AND BAR, 8, Lorong Dungun, Bukit Damansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur (Tel: 03-2092 5378). Business Hours: Daily, noon to 1am. Closed on Sundays.
Link :- http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...68&sec=central
Sponsored Links